The Langtang National Park in the Langtang region is one of the popular trekking zone, situated in north central part of Nepal. Langtang region is renowned for its floral and faunal diversity. The Langtang National Park covers 1710 KM2, extending the parts of Rasuwa, Nuwakot and Sindhupalchowk districts. The National park encompasses Gosainkunda and corresponding lakes, which are famous for their religious, cultural importance and natural beauty. The Gosainkunda area is also declared as the wetland of international importance in 2007 under the Ramsar conservation program.
The Langtang valley trek also known as the valley of glaciers trek. From Langtang region the breathtaking closet views of Himalayas and beautiful Glaciers can be observed. In this region, the highest of Langtang Himalayan Range, Mount Langtang Lirung, is predominant and offers beautiful meadows, snow capped Himalayan peaks, spectacular mountain streams and pine forest.
Langtang national park offers one of the best trekking experiences in Nepal. Snow Capped Himalayas, Cultural spectrums and Natural beauty? Yes, it’s wonderful!
The main ethnic group in Langtang Region are Tamang, Yolmo and Bhotia, considered to be originated from Tibet and resides in Langtang region and its buffer zone. The unique cultural values, dresses, home style, ornaments and customs accompanied by the beauty of Langtang valley make it a great fusion for wanderers. The ethnic groups here follow Bon religion, a pre- Buddhist doctrine widespread in Tibet. The Gosaikunda was believed to be created by Lord Shiva when he tried to draw water from Himalayas to cool his throat after swallowing poison. Though the Hindu spectrums and religious myths are prevalent in this region, majority of people follow Buddhism.
Langtang valley trek is the most popular trekking route in this region. To reach at the trekking start point Syabrubesi, from Kathmandu, it takes around 8 hour of drive. From Syabrubesi, by following Langtang River to the east, Kyanjing Gompa can be reached. From Kanjing Gompa the trail leads to the Langtang valley. The culture, tradition and natural settlement is the best part of Langtang valley. Again from Kyanjing Gompa, you may return to Syabrubesi and take a drive back to Kathmandu.
Autumn is the best time to visit Langtang national park. Travelers can experience the spectacular views and crystal blue sky from several well known view points in the region. Similarly, the months of March to May are favorable to view the floral beauty of this region. And the month of August is popular to visit because of the religious values. The festival celebrated in the month of August in Gosainkunda Lake attracts the thousands of pilgrims every year.
Highlights of Langtang National Park:
- Langtang National Park.
- Floral and Faunal beauty.
- Natural Beauty.
- Tibetan Buddhist Culture and Traditions.
- Religious sites.
- Panoramic view of Mt. Langtang-Ri, Langsisa, Langtang Himal, Ganjala peak.
- Tamang Culture and Heritage.
Things to Understand:
- The acclimatization is necessary to reach there. There is a maximum elevation of 5,120 m above sea level in the Ganja La trek. So, if you are planning for higher altitude, you should always be careful about high altitude sickness.
- Always be aware of wildlife there, don’t harm them and be precautious. `
- One can’t make fire in open area inside the park zone.
- In the world full of pollution, let’s take a step towards sustainability. Discourage plastic use and carry out what you carry in.
- The water on taps and glacier water might be impure of minerals. Always use ozonated water or purify the water yourself.
- Always get a permit before entering park area.
- Finally, do respect the cultural values and religious sites of local area.
Paanchpokhari, five lakes in literal, also belongs to the Langtang region. It is also famous for its scenic beauty. It is situated in North west of Kathmandu valley. This lake also carries a huge religious importance. Many pilgrims visit this place at the time of Janai Purnima. The Jugal Himal Range, Rolwaling Range, Gosainkunda, Kanchanjunga and Makalu Mountain can be seen from Paachpokhari.